Key points about this information item Mbale TownInformation Description:
Mbale district is located in the Eastern Part of Uganda with a population estimation of 75,000. It is bordered by Bududa in the East, Sironko in the North, Budaka in the West and Manafa in the South.
In this district, the biggest percentage of the population is of the Gishu (Bagishu) tribe. This town is well set at the base of Mount Elgon which is one of the biggest attractions in this historical town
- The beautiful Sipi Falls (55kms to the Northeast)
- Mount Elgon (Good for hiking)
- Kakoro Rock Paintings`
Several banks are present in this town mainly along Republic Street these include;
- Centenary Rural Development Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank (37 Republic Street)
- DFCU Bank (Republic St)
Serve Supermarket located around the corner from Mount Elgon View Hotel is a one stop shopping centre in the Town. More shopping can be done in the various retail shops in the town centre.
Republic Supermarket (Republic street)
Pal Super Market (Kumi Road)
Accommodation and Eating:
There are quite a good number of accommodation facilities in Mbale town, for upmarket & budget business & holiday travellers .
- Mount Elgon Hotel; 30 Masaba Rd. Price start from US$40, Tel:0454 433454
- Mbale Resort Hotel; Bungokho Rd. Price start from US$68, Tel: 0454 433920
- Wash & Wills Country Home; 37 Mbiro Rd. Price start at US$25, Tel: 0772 518675
- Mt.Elgon View Hotel
- Mbale Travelers Inn
- Landmark Inn; 2 Masaba Gardens - Wanale Rd.80
- Apule Safari Lodge (5 Naboa Road )
- Kayira Complex Hotel
- Mable Resort Hotel
- Mount Elgon Hotel
- The SunRise Inn, Plot M45 Nakhupa Rd, Senior QuartersPlot M45 Nakhupa Rd, Senior Quarters
- Olive Leaf Hotel
- Protea Hotel Mbale, 50 Bungokho Rd/64 Bumboi Rd
- Ridat Hotel, Bufumbo Rd,Wanale
- Hotel Restville, Plot 43, Bumboi Road, Busamaga, Wanale Division.
- Wash & Wills Country Home, Plot 37 Mbiro Rd.
- Hotel Eldima, Plot 35 Republic Street in the town centre
Getting There and away:
This town lies about 235Km from Kampala, Uganda's capital City. There several minibuses that run to Eastern Uganda daily from Kampala taxi Parks. Passengers can board from the Nakawa Taxi Park (few kilometres from city centre) to head on this smooth and lovely journey through Mukono, Jinja, Iganga towns. Buses companies such as; Elgon Flye (Colville Street), Teso Coach and Galaxy Coaches also carry out business daily. The Post Bus leaves Kampala at 8AM every day except on Sundays.
It is an estimated 3 hours drive from Kamapal city to Mbale Town.